The purpose of this documentation is to provide developers and students with a very simple guide on how to get started to program in the cloud. The documentation is available in a variety of formats including:
The material is based on practical experience that we gained form interacting with undergraduate students starting from the freshman level to graduate students working on a PhD. Naturally, this means that some material may seem to you very simple and at other times we find that some material may be missing or may have changed over time.
It is a pleasure if you can improve this material and potentially contribute your own section to it. You can coordinate your contribution by contacting Gregor von Laszewski (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Independent Study at IU¶
- Develop a cloud portal in django replicate significant functionality
of our flask portal)
- must use bootstrap
- must use jinja2 in addition to djangos rendering engine
- must interface with our mongodb (not needed for authentication)
- must provide a user mashup between the user database from django and our own user database (containing contact information)
- Develop a user management system
- Manage 10000 virtual machines
- Develop a PaaS launcher
- Develop an HPC interface
- Develop improvements to the cloud shell
- Develop a program that solves name ambiguity in bibliographic data by investigating a social network graph
- Develop a scalable distributed mongo db for our publication data, conduct performance comparisons for searches
Student Employment at IU¶
Employment is mostly done on an hourly rate. During the time of employment we also recommend that students take an independent study with Gregor. IN some cases this is mandatory to be considered. Thus plan your independent studies carefully.
Contributing to the Manual¶
If you have a good chapter that you like to integrate into this manual, please contact Gregor von Laszewski (email@example.com).
- Development Ecosystem
- introduction to python
- django (we have some material to start with)
- explain how to create commands in cm with cmd3
- get an account on FutureSystems (possibly just a link)
- use nova client from the command shell
- python example on how to manage vms with cloud mesh API & shell
- IaaS Intro (pick your IaaS)
- PaaS Intro (pick your Platform)